Leprechauns, castles, good luck and laughter... Lullabies, dreams and love ever after. Poems and songs with pipes and drums. A thousand welcomes when anyone comes...
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Frugal Shopping = Grumpy Family
I’m trying to be smarter about the grocery budget (Aren’t we all?) and frankly, it’s making my family nuts. Kathryn wants her chocolate milk from Winder Dairy, Gavin absolutely will not eat off-brand cereal, and Brian just wants to know where the meat is. So yesterday I broke down and just stocked up: staples, produce, frozen dinners, treats. I squinted when I signed the credit card receipt, so I’m really not sure how much over the budget we are for August. What is a normal amount to be spending on food in this country anyway? A recent story on ksl.com (http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=172&sid=7427998) had comments from people who call $100 a week downright wasteful. Well, what’s wrong with me, because I can’t hit that number to save my life! I mean, there’s a limit to the amount of beans my family will put up with in a given week. Anyone out there have the answer?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am a food snob. I refuse to cut the budget when it comes to good food. It is what fuels the body, so I try my best not to scrimp there. I also just don't have the time/energy/interest to manage coupons and ads. I try to buy what's in season and feed my family good food.
ReplyDeleteYes! And I'm convinced you can't lose weight and pinch pennies at the same time. Cheap food is fattening food.
ReplyDeleteHey Maria, I just saw you on Cami's blog. Do you remember when Governor Hunsman tried to live like a family on welfare? He was blown away by what they have to eat. You really can't eat healthy on a very skimpy budget.
ReplyDeleteI love your kiddo's pics. Absolutely adorable!!
I have finally figured it out. Most of the people that feed their families on 100/week only count food, and if they buy more than they are going to use that week, they count it as "food storage." I'm serious. I've been cutting back, using coupons and meal planning and I still spend about 500/mo.
ReplyDeleteAnd, like the ppl above, you can't feed your family really healthy on that little unless you make a lot from scratch and have a good size garden.
You're doing great! :-)