Friday, September 18, 2009

Finally!




Big deal here. My favorite TV show has been released on DVD. I was just 15 when thirtysomething debuted on ABC. I have no idea why a teenager living in Utah would find anything in common with people twice her age living in Philadelphia. But I just loved these characters. Keep in mind, this show is a contemporary of such stellar programming (roll the eyes) as Jake and the Fatman. The truly big hits were Dynasty and Dallas. And back then, a real "drama" had to be about doctors, lawyers or cops. That was all there was. I think thirtysomething was tremendously ahead of its time. People dealing with life's real problems. Some TV critics called it self-indulgent. The network censors thought it was vulgar. Academics thought it was propaganda for a backlash against feminism. I didn't care. Still don't. Anybody want to get together for a viewing party?

3 comments:

  1. Maria-
    Welcome to blogging! I was so suprised to see your comment on my blog.( Thanks for all you said, by the way.) I too remember being "hooked" on thirtysomething when it came out. I was so disappointed when it ended. It is fun to see a couple of them appearing now on "Brothers and Sisters" on Sun. nights. (Ken Olin-ohhh i used to think he was a hottie, and Patricia Wettig. If I'm not mistaken, I think they're married in "real life.")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Olin and Wettig are married... even still, which is rare in Hollywood. I had a terrible crush, not on Ken Olin, but the character of Michael Steadman. (Sigh!) He was just so... sincere, I guess. Sounds silly now that I'm thirtysomething myself. Brian rolls his eyes at me, but I married a Michael-like husband, so he shouldn't give me grief! It's a compliment, right?

    ReplyDelete